Essential Tips for Effective Supervision
Practice Management and Business Skills
CPD Points 1
Providing effective supervision can be challenging, but it is also essential for risk management, practice management and upholding your professional obligations.
Supervision is often not front of mind for busy lawyers. Many senior lawyers provide general guidance and support to more junior colleagues, but this usually does not meet the required standard of reasonable, appropriate and proactive supervision.
The focus of this course is supporting lawyers with responsibility for supervising others engaged in legal practice – principals. It will also be beneficial for more junior lawyers under supervision to help identify when they may require more support.
The course covers a number of topics including:
- Why supervision is important, and the benefits of effective supervision;
- Practical discussions of what amounts to reasonable, appropriate and proactive supervision;
- Potential consequences of failing to provide appropriate supervision for lawyers and support staff;
- Tips for proactive supervision including file audits, supervisory meetings and providing additional support for remote workers.
The course also discusses a number of different cases which provide real-life illustrations of the consequences of ineffective supervision that falls short of the required standards.
Karen is the principal of Legal Know-How, a legal consulting practice which provides expert legal advice and user-friendly knowledge management solutions to financial institutions, large corporates, SMEs and law firms.
What Lawyers Say
4.0/5Great case law examplesMade some tricky issues clear & easy to understand, particularly the case law examples
- D-L. Hogan, SolicitorDonna-LeeEssential Tips for Effective Supervision Providing effective supervision can be challenging, but it is also essential for risk management, practice management and upholding your professional obligations.LawCPD